“Fun” is not usually the first word associated with safe driving. But USAA and the City of San Antonio are working together to bring some fun – and some healthy competition – to a serious issue. On June 11, San Antonio is launching the Safest Driver contest, with USAA serving as the sole sponsor. The contest launch coincides with the start of summer — when statistics show driving is the most dangerous.
More than 3,700 drivers lost their lives in Texas in 2016, according to Advocates of Auto and Highway Safety’s January 2018 report.
The contest supports the city’s Vision Zero initiative which is focused on eliminating all traffic fatalities and severe injuries, while increasing safe, healthy, equitable mobility for all. The San Antonio’s Safest Driver contest is designed to encourage safer driving behaviors through leaderboards and cash incentives. Participants will download an app that tracks their driving habits and score their trips. USAA sponsorship of this contest and cash prizes strongly supports USAA’s commitment to road safety and Vision Zero.
Categories and Prizes
Eligible participants will be judged in three categories:
- Overall safest driver
- Safest military driver
- Least distracted driver
- Three Grand Prize winners of $10,000 based on the categories above, awarded at the conclusion of the contest.
- A total of 54 First Prize winners of $500 based on the categories above, awarded every two weeks throughout the 12-week contest.
- One randomly drawn Grand Prize winner of $2,000 awarded at the conclusion of the contest.
- A total of 18 First Prize winners of $150, randomly drawn every two weeks during the 12-week contest.
How Can I Enter?
The rules of the road are easy:
- Download. San Antonio’s Safest Driver is a smartphone app that provides you with helpful feedback on your driving based on speed, acceleration, braking, cornering and phone distraction.
- Drive. Follow traffic laws and be safe. No need to interact with the app while you drive. The app will do all the work for you!
- Win. Compete for cash prizes based on your driving behavior — or win a randomly drawn prize just for participating!
Who’s eligible to participate?
Anyone with a smartphone is able to download the app and participate. Contestants eighteen (18) years of age or older (as of the date of entry) and living within the Alamo Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (AAMPO) boundary are eligible to win the prizes. The AAMPO boundary includes Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, and Kendall counties.
To learn more about the prizes, official rules, and to download the app, please visit sasafestdriver.com or review the brochure attached. To encourage participation, please feel free to pass this e-mail along to co-workers, friends, and family in the San Antonio area.