San Antonio Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Richard Perez joined eleven community, education, and business leaders and two Council members on Mayor Nirenberg’s newly formed Education and Workforce leadership team to focus on sustaining local recovery efforts beyond the COVID-19 crisis.
As the number of unemployed Bexar County residents rises above 165,000, so has the need for a long-term education and workforce development plan. “Our community has been hit hard by this pandemic, it has brought our economic and educational attainment struggles to the forefront. It has also given us an opportunity to re-frame how we approach many of the gaps in our community, including workforce training and employee upskilling” said Richard Perez, President and CEO of the San Antonio Chamber.
“We are working together in new ways knowing that we have to make clear pathways for displaced workers to acquire skills and training for in-demand, high-wage jobs available right here,” Perez continued.
In the next few weeks the group will provide guidance on defining metrics and infrastructure for the targeted educational, training and wraparound services that will be put in place to support residents in entering and completing training programs. Additionally, members will advise on solutions and frameworks for increasing capacity and collaboration among stakeholders and providers as well as identify resources beyond sales tax allocation to sustain plan implementation.
List of Education and Workforce Leadership Team Members:
- Cristina Aldrete, president & CEO, North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce
- Craig Boyan, president and chief operating officer, H-E-B
- Taylor Eighmy, president, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Mike Flores, chancellor, Alamo Colleges District
- Marjie French, CEO, San Antonio Area Foundation
- Tuesdaé Knight, president and CEO, San Antonio for Growth on the Eastside
- Richard Perez, president & CEO, San Antonio Chamber of Commerce
- Sonia Rodriguez, community leader, COPS/Metro
- Kate Rogers, executive vice president, Charles Butt Foundation
- Cynthia Teniente-Matson, president, Texas A&M University-San Antonio
- Kevin Voelkel, president, Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas
- Harriet Dominique, senior vice president, The USAA Foundation, Inc., and The USAA Educational Foundation
- Council member liaisons: Rebecca Viagran (D3) and Adriana Rocha Garcia (D4)