A unique campaign designed to aid local restaurants hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic and to support United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County’s work to help end the socioeconomic divides exposed by the pandemic kicks off in our community tomorrow. The To Go 4 Good concept originated earlier this year as a way to raise much-needed funds for the San Antonio Food Bank and revive local restaurants struggling through the onset of the pandemic. That effort successfully raised more than $101,000 in under two weeks. With the tremendous success of the program, To Go 4 Good organizers are bringing back a bigger and better version this fall. “Our city continues to face significant challenges as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and the To Go 4 Good model is great for getting the community excited about giving back and helping the local economy,” said Chris Martin, United Way president and CEO. In partnership with Culinaria, a San Antonio-based nonprofit dedicated to fostering San Antonio’s culinary industry, To Go 4 Good will kick off with its signature dining out program tomorrow, Oct. 2. The community is invited to purchase meal vouchers from local restaurants to enjoy special menus for dine-in or carry out. Meals will be offered at $50, with half of each purchase benefitting United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County. Between Oct. 2 and Nov. 8, there will be three opportunities to purchase meal vouchers, with new restaurants to discover each time. Meal vouchers will be redeemable simply by calling and placing an order the week following purchase between Tuesday and Thursday. For restaurant details and to purchase, please visit https://culinariasa.org/to-go-4-good. “Local restaurants have struggled greatly during the pandemic, but the culinary community is surviving thanks to the loyalty and giving spirit of San Antonio,” said Suzanne Taranto-Etheredge, president & CEO of Culinaria. “To Go 4 Good is an opportunity to give restaurants a much-needed boost while also helping the United Way and the numerous local nonprofits participating in their breakthrough work to end generational poverty.” Blakely Fernandez, partner at Bracewell, LLP and To Go 4 Good chairwoman, noted that most people are most familiar with supporting United Way through workplace campaigns. “This is an opportunity for individuals throughout our city to support their work and help lift our community in a unique way,” Fernandez said. “It will also give United Way the opportunity to connect directly with the community in a new way and share more about how their work positively impacts San Antonians through every phase of life.” Brad Barron, president and CEO of NuStar Energy and United Way’s 2020 campaign chairman, echoed that sentiment.  “Most area residents are also more likely to be aware of United Way’s safety net programs that help people in crisis.  But many people are not aware of the incredible continuum of work they are doing to end the socioeconomic divides exposed in our community by the pandemic earlier this year. This campaign will support that critical work and support our struggling local restauranteurs at the same time,” Barron noted.
Tags:Chamber